Retirement Fears

We speak with longing of the day we say goodbye to the daily grind, and hello to the leisure life. No one speaks of the fears that lurk behind the hype. What about 'one foot in the grave' or 'kick the bucket'? This is my attempt to make sense of all those fears that are encroaching on my much coveted anticipation of retirement.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Diminishing

They say your beauty diminishes as you age. I'm a little vain in this area. Having been an ugly duckling as a child, I don't want to experience that time in my life again. I see myself, not so gracefully, slipping into old age. I've been called "Ma'am" at the grocery store, and even "Sweetie" by younger folks. I use that word "folks" quite often. I've felt invisible out in public. Worst of all, when I've been very friendly, chatting away with a clerk (at the grocery, the only place I go-another indicator of age) I recognize that smile and polite nod, tolerating an old lady in her dotage.

No comments:

Post a Comment