Retirement Fears

We speak with longing of the day we say goodbye to the daily grind, and hello to the leisure life. No one speaks of the fears that lurk behind the hype. What about 'one foot in the grave' or 'kick the bucket'? This is my attempt to make sense of all those fears that are encroaching on my much coveted anticipation of retirement.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Who's the Big Bad Wolf?

When you know who the enemy is, you can face your fear and plan your attack. I don't know who the Big Bad Wolf is. He seems to lurk behind every tree. Just when I think I have a handle on what to expect with retirement, something else to worry about pops up. Like, how do we pay the bills while all the paperwork for monies owed is processed? What if it takes so long that our bills become overdue? Late fees will bury us. We are hoping to pay things off with the lump sums coming in to make our daily living expenses easier to handle. My brother says you learn to tighten your belt. I'm not exactly skinny anymore, but we aren't extravagant people anyway. I tried the coupon queen route and saved a good amount, but nothing like they show on tv. Truth be told, I don't have that kind of time or space for hoarding. I have started a depression pantry (desperation pantry). I'll admit we probably spend money in areas we could cut back on. Financial advisers suggest keeping a log of your spending. That would be an eye opener I'm sure. We definitely could cut back on snacks, but that would take all the fun out of living. Well, I have been wanting to lose a few pounds. We could watch movies at home, make meals from scratch instead of packaged, drink water... Those Big Wigs in those Country Club prisons probably live better than all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment